home / Forums / Bodybuilding / Training / What is the best rep range?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Zillagreybeard Zillagreybeard 3 years, 7 months ago.

What is the best rep range?

Discussion in 'Training' started by Zillagreybeard, Jul 29, 2020.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Zillagreybeard
Zillagreybeard
Participant
1873 posts
  • Jul 29, 2020

The Best Rep Ranges?  – Mechanical tension drives muscle growth. Research shows that lifting a lighter load to failure produces gains in muscle size similar to those produced by lifting a heavy load to failure.
The scientific evidence on rep ranges tells us that there’s no magical rep range for maximizing muscle size. You can use both heavy, low-rep (1-5) sets along with medium-load, high-rep (15-20+) sets if you’d like. But many people focused on building muscle are usually not interested in using weights so heavy that they can only do five or fewer reps with it. And that’s fine. Doing some sets in the 6-8 rep range serves as a nice middle ground.
The amount of weight you’re using also determines the quality of reps you’re doing. If the load is too heavy, you may not be able to do good, quality reps. That said, at any given time at any big-box gym, you’ll see at least one guy doing biceps curls or shoulder raises, and he’ll have to thrust his lower back into it each time he brings the weight up. It’s easy to make this mistake. After all, you’re in the gym to lift weights, and everyone knows heavy loads are an effective stimulus for muscle growth, right? Well, sort of.
Training to maximize muscle isn’t about becoming a “weightlifter” as many seem to think. It’s about using weights as a tool to increase your muscle size. Simply throwing as much weight around as you can to impress people is an ineffective approach.

AdVisor
AdVisor
270 posts
  • Jul 30, 2020

My powerlifting days are pretty much gone so I’ve been transitioning in building muscle and health. I still try to hit a goal every so often or ego lift

Zillagreybeard
Zillagreybeard
Participant
1873 posts
  • Aug 05, 2020

I really try and keep mixing it up. Depending on how I feel I may go high rep or low rep.  It all comes down to how the only joints are feeling.  Getting old sucks donkey balls.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent forum posts:
maria wilson replied 4 hours, 46 minutes ago
Zillagreybeard replied 3 days, 13 hours ago